My Adk Gardens

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Plasticized the Veggie Garden


While much of the country has been having severe weather this past week, in this area we've been having unseasonably mild weather.

Usually at this time of year, our yard is either buried under snow, or at the very least, everything is brown and frozen. Not this year! It's November 30th but, it was in the high 60's today, the lawn is still green and I spent most of the day working outside.

My vegetable garden used to be part of our woodland. All I ever did to prepare the area to become a garden was have the trees cut down and removed, weedwhack the remaining brush down to ground level, and form planting beds by covering 7x4 foot areas with newspaper and compost.

Now, several years later, there are still some good sized stumps in the vegetable garden. A lot of the roots and smaller stumps have rotted though, so I think in the spring I'll try rototilling the garden. Meanwhile however, I'm trying to get a head start by letting the voles do some winter rototilling for me! I've covered the garden with black plastic, which will provide a cozy winter home for the voles. Hopefully, they'll "rototill" the area for me this winter as they burrow under the plastic, looking for food. If I can't get rid of the critters, I may as well try putting them to work for me!

Late this afternoon we had some rain, but the really wild weather isn't due to arrive until tomorrow. We're supposed to have rain, sleet, snow and high winds. If the weathermen are right, the voles should appreciate that I got their new winter home ready for them just in the nick of time.

Check back in the spring, to see if my "vole rototillers" worked!

2 Comments:

  • Hi Trudi,
    My name is Donna Talley - I am the Regional Editor for Country Gardens magazine (one of the Better Homes & Gardens Special Interest titles). You probably have seen the magazine, and some of the stories I've produced in the past few years.

    I'm based in Saratoga Springs and I shared your great gardens with my editors and they were very enthusiastic about having me scout your gardens for publishing consideration. I can tell you more about this - would like to talk with you. Please e-mail me at donnatalley@earthlink.net and I'll share my phone # with you.

    Thanks - love the gardens and your inspiring story. Hope all is going well with you. Look forward to talking very soon.

    All the best,
    Donna

    By Blogger Field Editor, at 6:53 PM  

  • Nice blog. Enjoyed going through it. Keep it up the good work. Cheers :) beth www.iflorist.co.uk

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home