My Adk Gardens

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Leaf Envy

When we go into the city, I can't help but notice the huge piles of leaves along the sides of the streets. Everyone has been busy raking their leaves to the side of the street, because the city will come along and pick them up to dispose of them.

"If only we still had a truck!", I say out loud when I see the piles. My husband raises an eyebrow and gives me a look that says, he's glad we don't still have a truck.

Years ago, we used to spend every fall evening picking up other people's leaves. My husband never quite understood my glee when we came home with more "fall gold", but he obligingly accompanied me on the leaf gathering trips. When we'd see a perfect leaf pile (perfect piles are 99% leaves, with no-to-few sticks and/or debris mixed in), my husband would stop the truck and I'd go to the door of the homeowner, to ask permission to take their leaf pile. I used to get some strange looks, but no one ever denied me!

After the bed of our pickup truck was full, we'd come home and start shredding the leaves in our leaf shredder. Once shredded, the leaves would be stored in a huge chicken wire cage for the winter. Then, in the spring, they'd be used on my gardens as mulch. I've tried many different types of organic mulch on my gardens, but shredded leaves are still my all-time favorite.

As we drive through the city in our small car at this time of year, and I see the unappreciated piles of leaves about to be discarded, I can't help myself...I develop leaf envy.

3 Comments:

  • Hi, I am a 1st time visitor. I can relate to your leaf envy. One can never get enough!

    By Blogger Carol Michel, at 11:25 PM  

  • Yep, got the leaf envy here. I don't ask for leaves, I just take the bags that are in the street-but I will from now on!!

    By Blogger Sissy, at 4:36 PM  

  • Hi great site with good content well set out.Perhaps your readers would like to visit my site www.gardeningorganic.blogspot.com

    By Blogger PS, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home